FAQ_MA35_Family Cyclictest

yhcheng3

11 Apr 2024, 15:04

Question :

MA35D1 Cyclictest of RT-tests

Answer.
  1. cyclictest is a tool used in Linux systems to test real-time performance and response time. It reads the counter through a loop and tests the number of loops that can be executed within a certain period of time. This reflects the system's real-time responsiveness without interference from other tasks.

Different types of applications running may affect the ACT (Achieved Cycle Time) value of cyclictest:
    • CPU-intensive tasks: Such as video encoding/decoding, scanning conversion, and other compute-intensive workloads. These tasks occupying the CPU for extended periods will reduce the CPU time slice obtained by cyclictest, resulting in an increase in the ACT value.
    • Disk I/O tasks: Such as large data transfers, logging, and other applications involving frequent disk reads and writes. Disk I/O operations preempt CPU time, increase system load, and affect cyclictest ACT.
    • Network I/O tasks: Such as video conferencing, file uploading/downloading, and other applications requiring extensive network communication. Interrupt requests generated by network transmission also reduce real-time performance.
    • High-priority processes: If there are one or more real-time tasks with priorities higher than cyclictest's residing in the system, it will also affect the ACT value.
    • Resource-intensive services: Services like system log collection, ECC monitoring programs running for extended periods may also interfere with real-time testing.
    • Graphic interface applications: Large software with GUIs such as web browsers that require frequent interface rendering will increase system load.
    CPU, disk, network I/O-intensive tasks, and high-priority processes are the primary factors affecting the collection of cyclictest metrics. During testing, avoid using the above types of apps.
  2. The recommendation is to run cyclictest and threads on CPU1, while other tasks run on CPU0.

#MA35 , #Cyclictest

• Information